Friday, December 14, 2012

Renew Your Mind


Life so often can be overwhelming. We tend to over complicate even the simplest of things, and in a desperate attempt to juggle everything without even thinking twice we turn our lives into a revolving circus act that wears us down, depletes our strength and leaves us feeling empty. I find myself asking why? Why do so many people today allow their lives to become consumed in activities and work to the point that we lose sight of what matters to us most. My morning routine plays over and over again each day like a marathon of Groundhog Day. The multiple alarms I set on my phone each alert me to the morning, in a desperate attempt to gain just a few more minutes of precious sleep I repeatedly silence the alarms and drift off again, knowing that the inevitable will come.

After I have exhausted every possible extra moment I have the mad rush begins, dashing around the house to get ready. Rushing through every moment, positively sure that I am going to be late. The constant nagging echo’s through the house as I struggle to motivate my grumpy little girl to hurry up and rush through her morning routine as well, struggling to get her to see that my unrealistic expectations are reasonable and necessary to complete the tasks at hand. Or so I've convinced myself....

When the dust settles behind my car after and I wisp us out of the driveway that's when the regret sets in. Reflecting on the insane morning rush that replays itself over and over again in our home I can't help but be a little embarrassed, frustrated and disappointed as I realize that once again I have taken advantage of such precious time that God has given to me. Chances are that I raised my voice, became frustrated and perhaps angry with this little child that God has so graciously blessed me with. Instead of being the fruit of the spirit I feel more like throwing fruit at anything that I can find...... just to clarify I am not in the habit of throwing fruit or anything else for that matter.

I can't help but to ask myself why? How did I even get to the point that such a routine even began to develop, how is it that a grown adult can place the same unrealistic expectations on a child that she places on herself? After all I make the choice each morning to press the snooze button knowing I am leaving no margin of time for life's realities, and then like a child I throw my own sort of tantrum because things didn't go my way. Let me back up in case you missed it, I make the choice each morning, ouch! Those words have a penetrating sting straight to my heart. Every day we make an unfathomable number of decisions. When it comes down to it, I have to ask myself am I consciously making decisions that are honoring and glorifying God. After all aren't we given clear instruction on what decision making should look like in the life of a Christian.....?

2 Corinthians 10: 3-5
"3 For though we live in the world, we do not wage war as the world does. The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds. We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ."

That's pretty clear instruction; we are to take captive every thought and make it obedient to Christ. How different my morning would look like if I truly took this command to heart and followed Paul's instruction. I must admit when I wake up and the first words that come from my mouth are "thank you God for another day to serve you" my perspective suddenly changes. I have more joy, patience, kindness, love, gentleness, self control..... This is starting to sound familiar......

Galatians 5:22-23
"22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law."

I begin to take on the Fruit of the Spirit and in doing so I honor God. Please don't misunderstand me when I say that honoring God is of first importance, but just don't miss the transformation that takes place when I begin taking on the Fruit of the Spirit. My mornings suddenly become less rushed, calmer and enjoyable. Instead of hitting snooze five or six times I am jumping out of bed to spend the first moments of my morning in the presence of the Almighty, reading His word, glorifying Him and giving Him thanks, talking to Him in prayer and receiving His gift of love. Suddenly I've evolved from this unforgiving, demanding and impatient creature into a gentle and peaceful woman, into a loving and compassionate mother, into a woman whose heart is focused not on the things of this world but on the things of God. 

Of the thousands of decisions we make every day, isn't it amazing how letting that first decision be to set my heart and eyes on God can completely reroute my entire morning? It doesn't just stop there either, it completely transforms my heart the entire day, and I willingly make choices throughout the day to honor God and to serve Him. I am overwhelmed by His spirit and the transformation that it causes to take place in my life. Suddenly the narrow path doesn't seem like the impossible path; instead it becomes the chosen path. 

So I challenge each of you to start right now! Ask God to give you a spirit of joy and thanks as soon as you open your eyes each morning. Bow before the awesome creator and allow Him into your heart and let your mind be transformed and renewed.

Romans 12:
"12 Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship. Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will." 

No comments:

Post a Comment